If you have tried to build or publish a ClickOnce project in a build server, you might find that you receive the following error:
Could not find required file 'setup.bin'
This basically means that MSBuild can't locate a bootstrap file needed to be able to build/publish ClickOnce applications
I have tried to fix it by installing the following Windows SDK on the TFS build servers:
Unfortunately, this was not enough to fix it.
After a lot of research, I found that the missing setup.bin file is actually installed locally in my developer environment where I have installed Visual Studio
So the fix looks like hacky but it works perfectly
Procedure to fix it:
- In the TFS build server, install this Windows SKD
- From your local environment (with Visual Studio installed), copy the following two folders
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\Bootstrapper\Engine
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\Bootstrapper\Schemas
- Paste those two folders in your TFS build server:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\Bootstrapper
Update the Windows Registry in the TFS build server by running the following command (save the text in a file with the extension .reg and double click it):
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\GenericBootstrapper\11.0] "Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v8.0A\\Bootstrapper\\"
That's it, the next time you try to build and publish your ClickOnce application in the TFS build server will run smoothly